Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's day 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Valentine's day has always been my favorite holiday. When I was little (like up until I was probably 15 or 16) I didn't know that it was meant more as a romantic holiday. My parents always did special cards, flowers, pink cream of wheat at breakfast, Russel Stover's chocolates and cool new pencils for us on Valentine's day. The school parties were always full of goodies, cards from everyone, and the great fun of making special bags or boxes to hold our treasures in. I loved the paper doilies that seem to serve no purpose other than to drip excessive glue when attached to construction paper. Even today, I get euphoric when I smell contruction paper, paste and crayons. (At every time of year, not just when making valentine's)
I think it's nice that there is a day dedicated to letting your loved ones know that they are special to yo. My dad still remembers how special I think this day is and sends me a card every single year, filled with tiny red confetti hearts. They fall all over the floor, and we find them for weeks after we think they are gone. They drive Matt crazy, but I love them! They make me smile every time I see them. (To be fair, my dad sends them half because I love them and half because they drive Matt crazy!)

This morning when I came home from church, Matt was fixing a special breafast for us. He made pancakes and used the cookie cutters to make them heart shaped. I thought it was one of the best husband/father moments ever, and I love that he made the effort to do something special that the kids will remember. 9 years ago today Matt and I first got together at a party at his apartment, and we have been together ever since. I can't believe it's been 9 years already, and I also can't believe it's only been 9 years!

So, have a wonderful Valentine's Day. May your day be filled with love from friends and family and your significant other, and may the spirit of love remain with us year round!

1 comment:

  1. awwww...you've got some great guys in your life.

    ReplyDelete