Friday, October 9, 2009

Matt and Meredith

My blogs about Meredith lately have expressed some of the frustration we have been facing lately, and I am happy and relieved to write a positive report now! But before the good stuff, I will fill you in on how we have arrived here...On Monday, Meredith had another total meltdown. She was tired from the weekend, and once again didn't want to get dressed, even with my help, or brush teeth, or pick up the books she threw all over the floor, and she was so hysterical that she couldn't seem to calm down and stop whimpering and crying. I tried for 55 inutes to gently joke her into a better mood, remaining calm the whole time (Go me!) and when I was at the point where I was about to lose it, I picked her up and set her outside and told her that screaming is an outside activity and we were not going to tolerate it in the house anymore. She was welcome to come back inside when she could calm down. She was out there for 10 minutes, and still wouldn't calm down, and Matt called to see how things were going. He talked to her on the phone for a minute and got her to calm down, and when he got home on Monday night, they had a long heart to heart about what we expect from her.


That night at dinner, he asked what they had talked about, and Meredith (after some prodding and pretend forgetfulness) said "I should be sweet, catch flies with honey. Be respectful, be a good listener and be responsible." On Tuesday morning, he asked if she would please call him when she got up, and she was excited to talk to him. They reviewed her goals for the day, chatted for a minute and Tuesday was great! Same deal on Wednesday and Thursday. When Matt gets home now he asks her how the day was and she has been excited to give him a good report each day. I am AMAZED at the difference this change has made in her, and so thrilled that Matt thought of it and is taking the lead on it. I think she really likes feeling a close bond with him, and I am proud of him for making the effort to be more patient and listen to her more now than he ever has. I hope that their relationship will continue to blossom from this new dimension, it seems to have made all the difference in the world!

1 comment:

  1. i like the idea of putting them outside if they are yelling and won't stop...i may have to borrow that one.

    ReplyDelete