Thursday, January 21, 2010

Where fore art thou, Romeo?

Hmmmm, where to start? I mentioned our new frog pets earlier I believe. Their names are Romeo and Ella, and they were a Christmas gift from Aunt Kelli for the kids. This morning God is testing me, because I started the day with a mantra that I will have a positive attitude and that will make life easier. Less than an hour into my day with the kids, I heard a loud "CRASH" from the playroom. Meredith shrieked, but I was in the middle of a diaper change for Cooper, so I just called out "What happened? You're alright!"

There was a moment of silence. Then Meredith said "Ummm...Nathan knocked the frogs over when he was getting a box of toys out." I immediately flew into the playroom and saw the frog tank shattered on the floor. Rocks and water and bamboo were covering a 3 foot radius, and Romeo and Ella were looking stunned on the floor. I ran to get a container to put them in and then they started hopping. Nathan and Meredith both fled the scene, Nathan looked terrified! He was shaking because it scared him so much when they started moving. I am pretty sure my son would not have been more terrified if an axe murderer was running after him, and the frogs are only an inch long!

I was able to capture both of our little friends with minimal effort because they were so out of sorts from being out of water that they just hopped into my container. I picked up what I could of the rocks, vacuumed up the rest and tried to mop up the water. Then I faced the dilemma about how to keep the frogs alive. They are supposed to have distilled water (just like in nature, right?) and I didn't have any. I debated about tap water, but decided that bottled water would have to do. (Again, who would ever have thought I would have to utter the phrase "Can frogs live in bottled water?")

I left them sitting on the kitchen counter. My father-in-law brought over a gallon of distilled water for us. (Kelli called and asked for his help so that we wouldn't kill her Christmas present.) When I went to fill the tupperware container with water, the frogs were gone. I don't know where they are! I am hoping that they are safe and that we will find them before they die and start to smell. I am also hoping that they are not in mortal danger, from something like the garbage disposal (they were sitting right by the sink), the dog (who would be delighted to get to play with the kids Christmas presents) or my feet. I keep looking at the ground as I am walking and praying that I don't feel anything squish.

Romeo and Ella, our prayers are with you. Go in peace and please don't end up visibly dead somewhere and traumatize my chidren!

2 comments:

  1. have you found them yet? frogs don't bother me but that doesn't mean i'd want to wake up with one sitting on my chest.

    ReplyDelete